Since I’ve had some time to think about it…
Lots of folks put up their goals for the year in a timely manner.. at the beginning of the year. I’ve been a little swamped lately and have only been compiling my list in my mind of what the year ahead holds. Since it’s a couple days into February, I figured I might as well get it out there.
My List is as follows:
- I am going to contribute to an open source project, or at least go through the motions entailed in doing so.
- I am going to get more comfortable with Git beyond the basics. Not being able to use it at my full time job is a real blocker when it comes to fully understanding all of its intracacies.
- I am going to take the knowledge gained from my upcoming training in Adobe Analytics to really understand the implementation of a complex system of analytics on an enterprise scale and try to use that knowledge to serve smaller side projects I engage in moving forward.
- I am going to take a quick spin of whatever JS framework seems to be at the forefront around the middle of the year. Perhaps a small side project to get a feel for the capabilities. Again, it’s not something I can really use at work, but it’s key to keep improving and trying to stay at the front of what’s current.
- I am going to get more involved in the community. I have already submitted my first proposal for a conference talk, but I’d like to get a meetup or something similar going in St. Louis.
- I am going to put more effort into this blog. Both in terms of actual content and design. It’s no secret that this is a lightly altered bare bones Jekyll theme. It was great to get me into the terminal and a basic understanding of static site generators, but it’s time to move it a bit further.
- Along those lines, I’m playing with the idea of forking this site (to go through the process) and throwing a bunch of experimentation at that branch to practice any new techniques I pick up without fear of wrecking this version.
- Lastly, I need to find a good side project that can allow me to make use of a lot of new things that are hard to use at my full time job. I have a few possibilities I’m eyeing, we’ll see how they develop..
Obviously, this list is purely professional. I have plenty of personal goals as well, but they are likely of little interest to anyone outside my family. I’m really looking forward to building on the enormous growth I experienced in 2015 and hope that the coming year will see similar leaps in ability. I just have to keep my head down and keep an eye on the long term goal…